January 2, 2011
Posted by on
Nobody could claim 2010 was an uneventful year for me… It’s been a year of highs and lows, that’s kept me on my toes. It’s not all been a bed of roses, but what doesn’t kill us makes us stronger. If this is the worst thing that happens to me in my life, then I’m still better off then most!
I’ve shied away from doing a predictions type posts, because most are nothing but rubbish from start to end. Filled with buzzwords from the last few months, with no real substance, and very little point to them. Right now we don’t have the solutions… just a whole heap of problems. So how can anything change? Everything will stay just about the same… companies will fail to secure themselves and the bad guys will keep in winning. Sad but true!
Anyway, as I sit and look back on last year and what I want this year to be, I want 2011 to be a year of firsts for me, as 2010 was in many ways.
2010 (Ghost of Christmas past)
- I began to finally look at Python scripting
- About darned time! How did I ever cope without scripting things?
- My first Python tool was released (UA-Tester)
- Followed by a few simple Python PoC scripts…
- I gave a lightning talk dressed as a pimp
- A moment not to be forgotten easily
- Eurotrash Security Podcast reached it’s 1st Birthday and is going strong
- The blog reached the 3 year mark
- What more is there to say!
2011 (Going boldly….)
It’s hard to say what the industry will do in 2011… I couldn’t tell you what the latest buzz words will be by the time DefCon rolls around, but I can at least say what I intend to achieve… or at least try to achieve!
- Have my first Metasploit module accepted into SVN
- A number of SAP modules are already waiting for the final go!
- Reply to the CFP for at least 1 conference
- Give at least 2 more lightning/fire talks in various subjects
- Put the LIGATT issue to bed
- I’m tired of it, you’re tired of it… time to put a nail in that coffin
- Teach developers about security through workshops
- Already in the works with 1 company, and hopefully more to come!
Here’s to a near year and new challenge… If there’s no challenge anymore, then it’s time to move on!
January 1, 2010
Posted by on
Wow how time flies. 10 years ago I was working in London for a share registrar company, and praying the NT4 systems we were using wouldn’t fold when Y2K hit. How times change. Now I’m living in Austria, and doing a job that I really like, instead of one that just pays the bills. Life’s too short to not enjoy your work.
In honor of the past and the future I’ve made a few (subtle) changes to the blog. Gone is the änal security guy (long story, ask me over a few beers) and I’ve gone back to using a nickname that I’ve not used in 5 years or so, catch22 (catch for short). That too is a long story, but at least the domain name c22.cc makes a little bit more sense now. Oh and I won’t have so many problems with badly programmed web-filters marking the blog as porn (hence the ä in the old title).
So what’s to come for me in 2010 ? It’s going to be another busy year I think. Lots of conferences planned already, and lots of things to get done. I’ve also come up with a few new years resolutions, and I plan to stick to them (this time). By posting them here you guys can all hassle me and call me a big fat liar if I don’t come through with the goods as well. No pressure
- Diet –> Because too many cons have taken their toll on my once slender and toned figure
- Friends –> I’m notoriously bad for losing contact with people and spending too much time locked in a room alone… time for a change
- Read more –> I keep getting new books, so time to read more and …
- Watch TV less –> To make room for the books, friends and …
- Projects –> Finish some, instead of leaving them half-finished with a blog post promising “more on that later”
- Charity –> Life’s been good to me even through tough times. So it’s time to give back !
So, if you see me at a con this year and I’m breaking any of these rules, I give you the right to tell me to my face that I’m an idiot…. trust me, with my willpower, I need all the help I can get !
Happy New Year everyone, and lets hope that 2010 is the year people realise they’re just making things worse (in security and in general).
Stop being part of the problem, and start being part of the solution.
Be good to each other !